Please read the list of the most frequently asked questions and answers.
- What are the terms for consideration of documents for obtaining a residence permit in Latvia?
When submitting documents, an applicant may choose 5, 10 or 30-day documents review period by paying relevant fees. Amount of fee depends on the grounds for obtaining a residence permit (from 90 to 450 Euros).
- What are the terms for preparation of documents for submission?
The term for preparation of documents depends on the grounds for obtaining a residence permit. From several days to several weeks.
- What is the validity period of residence permit?
Residence permit is granted for a period of 4 to 5 years. ID Card is granted for 1 year. ID card is subject to registration every year. For these purposes you need to come to Riga once for 7 working days or twice for 1 working day.
- Within what period it is necessary to arrive for obtaining an ID Card after receiving a positive decision?
- What is a validity period of certificates obtained for registration of a residence permit?
Certificate of no criminal record – 180 days. Other documents – 90 days.
- When is it necessary to submit documents for annual registration of a residence permit?
90 days prior to expiration date of ID card.
- When can it be possible to apply for a permanent residence permit?
5 years after obtaining a temporary residence permit. To obtain a permanent residence permit, a foreign national shall prove that last 4.5 years he/she has been residing in Latvia, as well as shall pass the examination on the knowledge of the Latvian language (elementary level).
- Is it possible to apply for registration of a residence permit while not in Latvia and to obtain an ID card in the Embassy?
- In what language should be the documents for submission?
Russian, Latvian, English, German, French.
- For what period of time it is required to arrive in Latvia for the initial submission of documents?
3 business days (in case of positive decision on granting a residence permit).
- Is it required to pre-register in the migration service / Embassy for submission of documents?
Yes, our employees do it in consultation with a client.
- On what grounds a residence permit can be obtained in Latvia?
Latvian immigration law provides for more than 30 grounds for obtaining a residence permit. See the main reasons in presentation.
- In what form can the availability of funds to reside in Latvia be proven?
Certificate from any bank of the Current Account Balance.
- In what cases is it possible to avoid the annual registration process?
In case of investing in the securities of the Republic of Latvia. This is a new ground valid since 01.01.2015.
- Is it required to affix an apostille to documents to be submitted?
It depends on the country that issued a document. Ukrainian and Russian documents do not require apostille.
- Is it permitted to reside in another EU country having Latvian residence permit?
By law, it is not permitted. However, movement within the Schengen Area is not tracked. Therefore, a large number of foreign nationals live in other countries with the Latvian residence permit.
- Is it possible to obtain a residence permit without investments?
Yes. Reason – registration of a non-commercial representative office. The program is likely to be closed in 2016.
- Does residence permit grant a right to pass the passport control at an airport as citizens of the EU?
No. But countries of Western Europe (Germany, France, and etc.) allow it.
- Is it possible to buy a car with EU license plates after obtaining of a residence permit?
Yes, it is possible, with the Latvian Republic license plates.
- Does the Latvian residence permit facilitate the process of opening bank accounts in banks of the Republic of Latvia?
- Does a residence permit grant the right to obtain the status of a tax resident of EU country?
Automatically, no. As an option, this status can be obtained.
- Does a residence permit provide a possibility for obtaining discounts on medical care as for EU residents?
Medical institutions set their own benefits for citizens and residents of the EU.
- Does a residence permit provide a possibility for obtaining significant discounts for study at prestigious educational institutions of the EU as for EU esidents?
Educational institutions set their own benefits for citizens and residents of the EU.
- Does Latvian residence permit simplify obtaining US and UK visas?
Yes. Documents for obtaining visas can be submitted to embassies and consulates located on the territory of the Republic of Latvia.
- Is it possible to obtain a Latvian driving license?
Yes, in 183 days a foreigner has the right to exchange his/her driving license to the Latvian one (EU version). It is also necessary to pass the driving test.