Please read the list of the most frequently asked questions and answers.
- What are the grounds for obtaining a residence permit in Germany?
A residence permit is granted on the grounds of doing business in Germany. Establishment or acquisition of a company.
- What is the validity period of a residence permit?
A residence permit is granted for a period from 1 year to 4 years.
- Is it possible to obtain a residence permit without investments?
A residence permit on the grounds of doing business in Germany requires investments in the form of a minimum authorized capital of 25,000 Euros.
- Is there any mandatory requirement to hire employees for the company?
Due to changes in immigration law, there are no such claims any more, but hiring of employees is estimated very positively by the Chamber of Commerce and Industry, as well as by the Migration Service of Germany when reviewing documents for registration or extension of a residence permit.
- Is it possible for a founder, director and/or member of the board of the German company not to be a citizen of any EU country?
Yes, it is possible. During the registration of the companies, foreign nationals can apply for subsidies, i.e. cash payments to cover the costs of company’s registration, office rental payment and etc. (up to 4,800 Euros).
- Is it possible for a spouse and children to obtain a residence permit?
A residence permit on the grounds of family reunification can be obtained by a spouse and children under 18 years.
- Are there any requirements for permanent residence in Germany?
It is required to stay in Germany for more than 180 days a year.
- Is it permitted to reside in another EU country having German residence permit?
By law, it is not permitted. However, movement within the Schengen Area is not tracked. Therefore, a large number of foreign nationals live in other countries with the German residence permit.
- What documents are required for obtaining a residence permit?
Passport, completed application for a national visa, Articles of Association of a registered company, extract from the commercial register, business plan, proof of availability of sufficient financial means for living and/or for doing business, resume, curriculum vitae, documents proving the existence of the relevant business experience; documents on education.
- In what form can the availability of funds to reside in the territory of Germany be proven?
Certificate of the Current or Saving Account Status.
- Is it required to affix an apostille to documents to be submitted?
It depends on the country that issued the document.
- What are the terms for preparation of documents for submission?
Preparation of documents, including drafting a business plan of the company is carried out within 1 month.
- In what language are the documents to be drawn up for submission?
- What is the place for submission of documents?
Documents shall be submitted to the Consular Department of the Embassy of Germany in the country of citizenship of the investor or in the country where the investor lives on the basis of a residence permit.
- Is it required to pre-register in the migration service / Embassy for submission of documents?
Yes, it is performed by our employees in consultation with the client.
- Is there any need in interviewing?
There is no compulsory interviewing for obtaining a residence permit.
- What are the terms for consideration of documents for obtaining a residence permit in Germany?
Documents for obtaining a residence permit shall be reviewed within three months after their submission to the Embassy of Germany.
- How many times and for what period of time is it required to arrive in Germany for obtaining a residence permit?
It shall be required to arrive for one day for establishment of a company.
All documents for obtaining a residence permit shall be submitted to the Consular Department of the Embassy of Germany during the submission of application for a national visa of category «II», which does not require arrival in Germany. After receiving a positive decision, it shall be required to arrive in Germany for the registration in a local authority and your ID Card obtaining. It shall be required to arrive to Germany 3 times.
- Within what period after receiving a positive decision is it necessary to arrive for obtaining an ID Card?
Within three months, then for obtaining an ID Card it shall be required to register in the local Foreigners authority (Ausländeramt Düsseldorf).
- In what cases a residence permit shall not be granted?
In case of improperly completed documents, inconsistency in documents submitted, incorrect information on an applicant or on his/her family members, incorrect business plan or its nonconformity with the interests of Germany or the federal land of Germany, insufficient qualifications of an investor in the industry of the proposed entrepreneurial activities, lack of basic knowledge of the language (German or English), lack of funds.
- What happens after the expiry of a residence permit?
A residence permit can be extended. An entrepreneur is obliged to submit positive financial statements of the enterprise at the end of the financial year, or after 3 years of owning a residence permit it can be possible to apply for a permanent residence permit.
- When is it necessary to submit documents for extension of a residence permit?
Upon expiry of a residence permit, the Migration Service shall notify of the need to submit documents for the extension of a residence permit.
- How does the extension of a residence permit take place?
Upon expiry of a residence permit, a foreign national receives a letter from the Foreigners authority (Ausländeramt Düsseldorf) with a list of documents to be provided for the extension of a residence permit.
- Is it possible to apply for extension of a residence permit being outside of Germany.
- In what cases is it possible to avoid the process of annual residence permit extension?
Positive business results (income tax payment, employment, and etc.) are good grounds for obtaining a temporary residence permit for up to 4 years without the need of annual extension or registration.
- Can a residence permit be cancelled, if the company is not doing business?
- When can it be possible to apply for a permanent residence permit?
In case of a positive result of entrepreneurial activity and large turnovers of the company, after 3 years of possession of a residence permit, the investor has the right to apply for a permanent residence permit in Germany (Niederlassungserlaubnis or Erlaubnis zum Daueraufenthalt-EG).
- Does a residence permit grant the right to obtain the status of a tax resident of EU country?
- Does the German residence permit facilitate the process of opening bank accounts in banks of Germany?
- Is it possible to obtain a driving license in Germany?
Yes. Within a year after obtaining a residence permit a foreign national has the right to use his/her driving license within the territory of Germany, then he/she has an opportunity to obtain a German driving license. It is also necessary to pass the theoretical examination and driving test.
- Is it possible to buy a car with a registration number of the EU after obtaining of a residence permit?
Yes, it is possible, with a registration number of Germany.
- Does a residence permit provide a possibility for obtaining significant discounts for study at prestigious educational institutions of the EU as for EU residents?
Educational institutions set their own benefits for citizens and residents of the EU.
- Does a German residence permit simplify obtaining US and UK visas, as well as visas of other countries?
Yes. Documents for obtaining visa can be submitted to the embassies and consulates that are located on the territory of Germany.
- Does the residence permit grant a right to pass the passport control at the airport as citizens of the EU?
By law, it is not permitted, but it is allowed in the countries of Western Europe (Germany, France, and etc.).
- After what period of time is it possible to apply for obtaining German citizenship?
In 7 years.